Americans spend over $400 billion a year renovating their homes and properties. That said, when it comes time to sell your Alpharetta, GA house, you might wonder whether performing home renovations before selling is a good idea or not.
Alpharetta home renovations have the potential to net you a higher sale price. After all, people want renovated kitchens, built-in smart technology, and energy-efficient appliances. But there are more factors than a sale price to consider when it comes to selling a home.
Today we’re going to look at the factors to consider before deciding to make home renovations before selling. This way, you can make an informed decision that meets your needs.
Home Renovations Before Selling: Factors to Consider
1. How Quickly You Need to Sell
Sometimes you need to sell your house quickly. For example, you might land a new job out of state that starts right away. If this is the case, you’ll have no time to renovate. Of course, there are small things you can do to make your home more appealing. For instance, you might power wash the exterior or freshen up the landscaping. But things like kitchen renovations, painting, and installing new floors are not going to happen.
2. Your Estimated Budget
When you decide to sell your house as is, it’s usually because you can’t afford to renovate. That said, people that want to complete home renovations before selling will have varying budgets.
Before you decide on the kind of home renovations you want to perform, you should take a close look at your finances. There are two things to consider when working out a budget:
- How much money you’re comfortable spending
- If you want to spend the money you have on Alpharetta home renovations
Once you have the answers to these questions, it’s time to start looking for a professional and reliable remodeling company to help you remodel your home.
3. How Hands-On You Want to Be
Another thing to think about is how involved in the process of selling your home you want to be. If you decide to renovate before you sell, you’re going to have to be really hands-on in the process. There will be decisions you’ll have to make when it comes to your project:
- What rooms will be renovated
- The renovations that will be performed
- Your budget
- The timeline you’re on
If you have enough time on your hands and know what you’re looking for in terms of renovations, you have a lot to gain. Again, preparing beforehand will save you time and money. Plus, it will ensure the Alpharetta home renovations are worth the investment.
4. Expected ROI on Renovations
In the South Atlantic this year, the average ROI on the top 22 remodeling projects came in at about 66.5%. This is something to consider. While many home renovations have the potential to bring in a high return on investment, you’ll need to account for things such as the current market and what your target buyers want.
Some of the best Alpharetta home renovations to make include:
- Manufactured stone veneer (95.6% return)
- Garage door replacement (94.5% return)
- Siding replacement (77.6% return)
- Deck addition (72.1% return)
- Minor kitchen remodels (77.6% return)
The higher the expected ROI on a home renovation the better. In fact, the right home renovations before selling can make all the difference in closing a sale and for how much.
5. Interior vs Exterior (Or Both)
Usually, the first thing that comes to mind when you hear “home renovations” is the interior of your home. However, sometimes the most profitable renovations happen on the outside of your home.
When people are looking to buy a house, first impressions can make a break a decision to buy or move on. That’s why focusing on the exterior of your Alpharetta home before you sell can be a good thing. Additionally, since many home sales start online and potential buyers rely on the pictures of the home before moving forward with a showing, it’s best to have an exceptional exterior to attract interest in your home.
In the end, before deciding about the renovations you want to do, think about both the interior and exterior of the home. Pinpointing your home’s best features will help you generate a higher sale price and a faster closing time.
6. The State of the Housing Market
Understanding the current state of the housing market is another important thing to consider before making renovations and selling. There’s no sense in investing a lot of time and money into home renovations if they aren’t going to pay off when you sell.
Here are some things to think about:
- What comparable homes are selling for – with or without renovations
- How hot the market is – the slower homes sell, the better it is to renovate them
- The timeline you can expect from start to finish when it comes to selling the home
- The location of your property and whether you need to improve to compete with comparable homes for sale
Once you understand the housing market, you’ll be able to better decide whether renovating your home before selling is a good idea.
7. Buyer Types
The last thing to consider before finalizing a decision to renovate before selling or not is the type of buyers you can expect to show interest in your home.
There are two main types of buyers you’re going to run into while trying to sell your home:
- The “I Want It Now” Buyer: these are the buyers that want a perfect home now. They don’t want to deal with renovating after they buy. Plus, they are willing to pay more to get exactly what they want. These types of buyers will appreciate your home renovations.
- The “I Want to Fix It Up” Buyer: these are the buyers that want you to leave your house as is so when they move in, they can fix it up the way they want to. They enjoy a lower sale price and don’t mind taking the time to renovate the home according to their taste. If you renovate and attract these buyers, you’ll likely price them out or turn them away because they don’t like what you’ve done.
Of course, not all buyers will strictly fall into one or the other category. But when it comes to deciding whether to renovate before you sell, it’s good to know the general buyer pools you’re going to be working with.
Best Alpharetta Home Renovations
If you’ve decided to make home renovations before selling, you should educate yourself on the best renovations to make. After all, the goal should be to garner the highest sale price possible.
The kitchen is a room that most buyers look at the minute they attend a showing. People love for their kitchens to be updated with the most modern appliances and styles. Plus, kitchens have the potential to generate the highest ROI of all home renovations.
- Adding or replacing backsplashes
- Replacing cabinets and knobs
- Repainting cabinets
- Installation of new counters – quartz or granite
- Refinishing or replacing the flooring
- Upgrading to stainless steel, energy-efficient appliances
The second room to focus on when it comes to home renovations and ROI is the bathroom. This is especially true when it comes to the master bathroom. An Alpharetta bathroom remodel may be just the thing to make your home feel like new again.
The elements to focus on during a bathroom remodel include:
- Light fixtures
- Toilets, sinks, and tubs
- Faucets, showerheads, and towel racks
- Vanity tops
- Tile grout
- Wall paint
Leaving a lasting first impression on prospective buyers is the key. This all starts with the exterior curb appeal.
Simple ways to boost your home’s curb appeal through renovations are:
- Switching light fixtures
- Replacing or painting the doors
- Power washing the exterior
- Repairing broken siding or roof shingles
- Repainting the exterior
- Trimming the landscaping
4. Walls and Floors
One of the fastest and most affordable ways to give your home a facelift before selling is to replace the flooring. Whether you want to replace the existing carpet or change the look altogether, new flooring has the potential to boost your home’s value.
Here are some of the best flooring types to put in your Alpharetta home:
Are you ready to sell your Alpharetta home and want to make renovations before selling? Then contact us today and see how we can help.
At Halcyon Remodeling, we have the experience to give your home a complete makeover and help you generate the highest sale price possible. With superior workmanship, customer service, and guarantees, we know that you’ll be 100% satisfied when your project is complete. Renovating your home to sell doesn’t have to be a hassle. Use your time and money wisely by entrusting us to take your home to the next level in a timely and affordable way.
Did you get a copy of the Atlanta Remodeling Cost Guide? It’s free!